New Video: A Tribute to Brooks AFB
Partnered with Backerhaus Media and Spectrarama Pictures, a community effort, the Solid Rock Riders pay tribute to Brooks Air Force Base. A video that commemorates Brooks was added to the Solid Rock Riders' video lineup on YouTube. (Just click Tribute to Brooks AFB to watch video.)
|Scene from video|
The base was one of the oldest military airfields in the United States. It has a rich history that dates back to 1918. Nearby is Stinson Airport, the second oldest operating airport in the US. Since it was founded in 1918, the airfield trained cadets in Curtiss JN-4 aircraft. This aircraft was used for balloon and airship training; however, the U.S. Army determined that balloons and airships were not feasible and canceled the program in 1922.
After the JN-4 program was canceled, Brooks Field became a primary flight school for the Army Air Corps. In 1931, the flight school was moved to Randolph Field which is present-day Randolph Air Force Base. Over the decades, Brooks had become an observation center, then later a twin-engine flight school for the B-25 bomber.
In 1948, the field became Brooks Air Force Base, not long after the Army Air Corps became the United States Air Force (USAF). During the 1950s, it became home to the Aerospace Medical Center and the USAF School of Aerospace Medicine (USAFSAM). The school provided services to NASA.
On 21 Nov 1963, President John F. Kennedy dedicated the new buildings of USAFSAM. It was his last official act as President; he was assassinated in Dallas on 22 Nov 1963.
In 1995, Brooks was spared the 1995 BRAC—Base Realignment and Closure. By 2003, it was renamed Brooks City-Base and ownership was handed over to the City of San Antonio. By 2005, it was placed back on the BRAC. Pieces of USAF operations were moved to Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio, Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, and other bases. By Sept. 2011, the Air Force turned in their keys and checked out.
Today, Brooks City-Base is home to the new Mission Trail Baptist Hospital.More Articles | Go to Archives Page